Instructors: Aaron Dowling & Seng Mah
Level: Beginner – Intermediate
Date: 17th – 19th of March, 2017
Cost: $698 (Workshop Only, if you are visiting the South West you will need to book accommodation)
Location: Dunsborough, West Australia
Maximum participants: 10
A truly epic weekend workshop: two sunset shoots, two sunrise shoots, two great seminars devoted to landscape photography and photo editing!
There’s no better place to learn landscape photography than in the beautiful and commanding coastal surrounds of the South West of Western Australia.
Begin your journey as a landscape photographer with this two-day weekend workshop that combines hands-on shooting with a deep appreciation of the key elements that make visually powerful landscapes.
Learn to master your camera in full manual exposure mode and find out how to control focus and depth of field to ensure absolute sharpness and clarity in your landscapes. Learn how filters affect your exposures and how you can select the best filters to obtain the effect you’re after in your landscapes. Aaron and Seng will guide you in reading the light on the landscape and shooting for stronger landscape compositions.
This workshop will show you how to effectively make use of key landscape photography tools – how to select and use filters to remove glare, enhance colours and to achieve long exposures even in daylight; the importance of a level tripod for shooting panoramas, and more.
You’ll learn about the post-production possibilities in landscape photography, including the thinking and workflow for effective landscape photography post-processing.
Finally, a workshop isn’t complete without hands-on, real-world shooting experience, where you can learn how to shoot great landscapes under Aaron and Seng’s guidance and assistance. We will be embarking on two sunset and two sunrise shoots at several iconic landscape photography locations in the South West.
What You Will Learn
- Essential equipment for landscape photography.
- Focal length and angles of view — what lenses work best for landscape photography.
- Tripods and remote shutter triggers — how best to optimise their use.
- Using neutral density (ND) filters and circular polarising filters — when and how to best use them.
- Light and landscape — how to recognise the best light.
- Composing landscapes — leading lines, compositional guidelines, use of colour and more.
- Elements of great landscapes — what to look for in a landscape.
- Controlling exposure in landscape photography — going fully manual.
- Understanding the histogram — how best to use it to gauge your exposure.
- Evaluative metering vs spot metering — when to use one or the other and why.
- Bracketing exposures — how to do it, why you need to do it.
- Achieving deep depth of field in landscape photography.
- Working with RAW files in your landscape image post-production.
- Exposure blending and high dynamic range photography.
- Setting up and shooting panoramic landscapes.
- Landscape photography post processing workflow.
3.30pm – 5.00pm: The tools and techniques of landscape photography — meet with Seng and Aaron and learn about our tools and techniques for landscape photography. We’ll show you how to set your camera up for optimum landscape photography and give you tips for focusing and capturing landscapes.
5.30pm – 6.45pm: Sunset photography at Castle Rock. This is a casual and informal session for us all to shoot together and to put the techniques you have learned into practice. You’ll be free to ask Aaron and Seng questions about your landscape photography and we’ll be able to help you set up your camera and accessories during this shoot.
6.00am – 7.00am: Sunrise shoot at Quindalup Boat Ramp, where we’ll capture the boat ramp and Geographe Bay in the flush blush of dawn and sunrise.
10.30am – 3.30pm: Landscape photography seminar and presentation at the Cape Naturaliste Community Centre.
5.30pm – 7.00pm: Sunset shoot at Sugarloaf Rock, one of the South West’s most iconic locations for landscape photography!
6.00am – 8.00am: Sunrise shoot at Canal Rocks, another iconic landscape location for photographers.
9.30am – 12.30pm: Landscape post-processing workflow – presentation at the Cape Naturaliste Community Centre.
What You Will Need
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera that allows you to shoot in full Manual Exposure mode.
- A wide angle lens such as a 10-20mm or 18-55mm lens.You’re also welcome to bring other lenses that cover longer focal lengths eg. 24-70mm, 24-105mm.
- A stable tripod that will let you adjust the position of the camera on the tripod quickly and easily.
- To get the most out of the practical segment of this workshop, you’ll need two types of neutral density (ND) filters for your lens of choice. We recommend filters by Hoya, Haida or Nisi.
- Either 3 stop (ND8) or 4 stop (ND16)
- Either a 9 stop (ND400) or 10 stop (ND1000).
- A circular polariser
- A remote shutter release (we recommend a simple cable release).
- Microfibre cloth and lens cleanser (we will be shooting close to the ocean so there may be some sea spray in the air)
- The practical segment of this workshop will be run at a coastal location, so please dress accordingly for the weather.
Bookings for this workshop are made through Venture Photography Workshops at the link provided below. If you have any questions in relation to the workshop I am happy to answer them, please use the contact form below.
Photography Tours, Cambodia Photography Tours, Angkor Photography Tours, Angkor Wat, Landscape Photography Tours, Bali Photography Tours, Indonesia Photography Tours, Luminosity Masks, Luminosity Mask Tutorials, Photoshop Tutorials, Luminosity Actions, Learn Photoshop, Sean Bagshaw Tutorials, TKActions, Tony Kuyper Actions, Tony Kuyper Luminosity Masks, Greg Benz Tutorials, Greg Benz Luminosity Tutorials, Jimmy McIntyre, Jimmy McIntyre Tutorials, Jimmy McIntyre Luminosity, Luminosity Actions for Photoshop, Luminosity Masks For Photoshop, Photoshop Workshops, Landscape Photography Workshops, Photoshop for Beginners, Photoshop Perth, Learn Photoshop Perth, Photo Prints, Quality Photo Prints, Canada Photography Tours, Rocky Mountain Photography Tours, Banff Photography Tours, Jasper Photography Tours, Rocky Mountain Landscape Photography