Instructor: Aaron Dowling & Seng Mah
Level: Beginner – Intermediate
Duration: 12.00pm – 7.00pm
Date: 24th of October 2015
Location: Presentation at Venture Studios Fremantle & Location Shoot at North Beach
Maximum participants: 12
Start your journey into landscape photography with this informative and hands-on workshop that will take your landscape photography skills to the next level!
This workshop is designed to give you the skills and knowledge to photograph epic landscapes. You’ll learn how to master your camera settings in manual exposure mode and the secrets of controlling your focus to ensure sharpness and clarity in your landscape. You’ll learn how to “look for the light” in landscapes and how to compose your images for depth and impact.
Aaron & Seng will show you the tools of the trade — what you need in order to take brilliant landscapes and how to select and use filters to remove glare, enhance colours and to achieve long exposures even in daylight. You’ll also learn about the post-production possibilities in landscape photography, including working with RAW files, blending exposures and creating high dynamic range (HDR) landscapes.
Then, we’ll head out on a landscape photography excursion in the late afternoon to shoot the sunset and dusk! This is your opportunity to try your hand at practical landscape photography and be supported through your shoot.
What You Will Learn
- Essential equipment for landscape photography.
- Focal length and angles of view — what lenses work best for landscape photography.
- Tripods and remote shutter triggers — how best to optimise their use.
- Using neutral density (ND) filters and circular polarising filters — when and how to best use them.
- Light and landscape — how to recognise the best light.
- Composing landscapes — leading lines, compositional guidelines, use of colour and more.
- Elements of great landscapes — what to look for in a landscape.
- Controlling exposure in landscape photography — going fully manual.
- Understanding the histogram — how best to use it to gauge your exposure.
- Evaluative metering vs spot metering — when to use one or the other and why.
- Bracketing exposures — how to do it, why you need to do it.
- Achieving deep depth of field in landscape photography.
- Working with RAW files in your landscape image post-production.
- Exposure blending and high dynamic range photography.
What You Will Need
- A DSLR or mirrorless camera that allows you to shoot in full Manual Exposure mode.
- A wide angle lens such as a 10-20mm or 18-55mm lens.You’re also welcome to bring other lenses that cover longer focal lengths eg. 24-70mm, 24-105mm.
- A stable tripod that will let you adjust the position of the camera on the tripod quickly and easily.
- To get the most out of the practical segment of this workshop, you’ll need two types of neutral density (ND) filters for your lens of choice. We recommend filters by Hoya, Haida or Nisi.
- Either 3 stop (ND8) or 4 stop (ND16)
- Either a 9 stop (ND400) or 10 stop (ND1000).
- A circular polariser
- A remote shutter release (we recommend a simple cable release).
- Microfibre cloth and lens cleanser (we will be shooting close to the ocean so there may be some sea spray in the air)
- The practical segment of this workshop will be run at a coastal location, so please dress accordingly for the weather.
- Fully supported hand’s on workshop
- Course notes covering all the content covered during the workshop
- Fully supported on location during the shoot at Burns Beach
- Refreshments during presentation part of workshop
Bookings are through Venture Photography
Click on the Venture Photography link above to make your booking.
“I recently attended this workshop. It was very professionally presented with clear illustrations to complement the point. Seng and Aaron covered a wide spectrum of topics related to landscape photography. I would recommend anyone from novice to experienced photographer to attend this course as there is always something new to learn. There was plenty of time for questions and the answers showed a deep understanding of both equipment and the practical aspect of working in the outdoors.”
“The Epic Landscape course with Seng Mah and Aaron Dowling (Venture Photography and Aaron Dowling Photography) was the right mix of theory and practical application. All course material is well explained and the group was an appropriate size allowing people to ask questions. The presentation materials were professional and discussed well with the group. I learnt a lot from the this and other courses and would recommend them as a quality investment in your skills.”
“…Seng and Aaron worked really well together. Everything is explained in a way that is easy to understand. Looking forward to going out and shooting an EPIC sunset and putting in to practice what we learnt.”
Photography Tours, Cambodia Photography Tours, Angkor Photography Tours, Angkor Wat, Landscape Photography Tours, Bali Photography Tours, Indonesia Photography Tours, Luminosity Masks, Luminosity Mask Tutorials, Photoshop Tutorials, Luminosity Actions, Learn Photoshop, Sean Bagshaw Tutorials, TKActions, Tony Kuyper Actions, Tony Kuyper Luminosity Masks, Greg Benz Tutorials, Greg Benz Luminosity Tutorials, Jimmy McIntyre, Jimmy McIntyre Tutorials, Jimmy McIntyre Luminosity, Luminosity Actions for Photoshop, Luminosity Masks For Photoshop, Photoshop Workshops, Landscape Photography Workshops, Photoshop for Beginners, Photoshop Perth, Learn Photoshop Perth, Photo Prints, Quality Photo Prints, Canada Photography Tours, Rocky Mountain Photography Tours, Banff Photography Tours, Jasper Photography Tours, Rocky Mountain Landscape Photography